Pages

Friday, April 17, 2009

The Strawberry Man

In our neighborhood there are trucks that drive around selling things.  They are similar to an American ice cream truck, except they sell things like eggs or strawberries.  A loud speaker announces what they are selling.  It is so loud you can hear it inside your house (which is the point, since they are trying to get people to come out and buy something from them).  The audio track is on a loop and it goes around, around and around.

I’ll ‘translate’ for you (mind you, the only word I actually know is strawberry - ‘tahl key’ - but I can pretty much guess the rest).

Strawberries, nice juicy red strawberries.  Come on, get your strawberries. Strawberries, strawberries, strawberries.

Strawberries, nice juicy red strawberries.  Come on, get your strawberries. Strawberries, strawberries, strawberries.”

I hear these loud ‘announcements’ a lot.  I have to admit I’ve been annoyed by them on a number of occasions. Koreans, however, don’t seem to be bothered by what I consider to be ‘noise pollution’ :o).  But for all my complaining, their prices are SO much cheaper, that I’ve given in.  Now, I too ‘appreciate’ the barrage of ads floating through my window! :o)

Today, I bought some strawberries for 1/2 the price that they are in the supermarket.  I think I am going to make French toast tomorrow morning for breakfast and we’ll put strawberries on them.  It will be our first French toast in South Korea … I think that BEGS for some fresh strawberries … don’t you?!

PICT2162 The Strawberry Truck

PICT2163 My bag o’ strawberries

PICT2164

No comments:

Post a Comment